Search This Blog

Saturday, October 29, 2011

"Your Pregnancy Week By Week 6th Edition" By Glade B Curtis MD, MPH & Judith Schuler MS


Title: Your Pregnancy Week By Week 6th Edition
Authors: Glade B Curtis M.D., M.P.H. & Judith Schuler M.S.
Published Year: 2008
Pages: 648


This book probably doesn't look like something I would normally read, and the reason I read it was because I was pregnant which is what the book is actually for. Yes I "was" pregnant, and now I have a beautiful baby girl.

When I found out I was pregnant one of the first stops I made when I went out and ran errands was a trip to my local book store. I wanted to find out information on my pregnancy and try and find a good source to look to when I had questions and also so I knew what to expect throughout my pregnancy. I had heard of other popular books, but not this one. When I actually got to the bookstore, I say this one and was instantly intrigued. I compared it to the other more popular one (at least it was the only one I had actually heard of from friends who had read books about pregnancy during their pregnancy) and just by looking at the way the book was set up and how it flowed, I chose this one. I wanted the best I could find as this was my first ever pregnancy and I wanted as much detailed information as possible.

The way this book is set up is that it provides information on a week by week basis which is evident from the title. To make things easy to find and for the reader to read what they want, each week is dividing into different sections with separate headings. There are sections for the following: how big is the baby, how big are you, nutrition. In addition it also has a section with information on what to expect during the week such as baby movements and what will happen at the doctor's visits along with what to watch for that may cause issues during your pregnancy. Each week also has a little blurb for the dad with a suggestion and a general one that has a good tidbit of information. At the end of each week there is also a recommended exercise move based on how far along.

There is a ton of information throughout the book, and reading it during my pregnancy put me more at ease when I knew what to expect. At the end of the book there is also an appendix about what happens if you have a premature baby, and one that has a general list for each week after pregnancy of a general idea of what is going on with your own body. If you forget what different terms mean, there is also a glossary at the back of the book and an index if you need to reference back to something from an earlier week.

For any first time mom-to-be, or for someone who hasn't had a baby in awhile I highly recommend this book. As I mentioned earlier, it is easy to understand and it provides information that is important to know throughout the pregnancy. I would have been lost and confused if I had not read this one. I did read the more popular one as well (that's another blog entry for another day), and this one helped me out much more.

No comments:

Post a Comment