Search This Blog

Monday, October 3, 2011

"Unsolved Myteries of American History" By Paul Aron


Title: Unsolved Mysteries of American History
Author: Paul Aron
Published Year: 1997
Pages: 225
Genre: History/Reference

First off just let me tell you that this is obviously not a complete look at all the unsolved mysteries that involve American history. As a country, the United States has a relatively short history, but that still doesn't mean all of the unsolved things are found within these pages. The author has actual written a second book on the subject and let's just say that I am not quite sure if I am going to go ahead and check it out yet or not. I have plenty of other books to read that I already own and I should be giving them more attention than I have been.

Here is a list of the mysteries that you can find within the pages of this specific book:

  • When did the first people arrive in America?
  • Did Leif Ericsson discover America?
  • Why did the Anasazi abandon their cities?
  • Where did Columbus land?
  • How did Cortez conquer the Aztecs?
  • What happened to the lost colony of Roanoke?
  • Did Pocahontas save John Smith?
  • What caused the Salem Witch hunt?
  • Was Daniel Boone a traitor?
  • Why did Benedict Arnold turn Traitor?
  • Was Sally Hemings the mistress of Thomas Jefferson?
  • Was Meriwether Lewis murdered?
  • Was Rachel Jackson a bigamist?
  • How did Davy Crockett die?
  • Why did Lee order Pickett's charge?
  • Who is to blame for Wounder Knee?
  • What destroyed the Maine?
  • Were Sacco and Vanzetti guilty?
  • Who kidnapped the Lindbergh baby?
  • Did Babe Ruth call his shot?
  • Was Amelia Earhart a spy?
  • Who was to blame for Pearl Harbor?
  • Why did Truman drop the bomb?
  • Were the Rosenbergs guilty?
  • Who killed JFK?
  • What happened at the Gulf of Tonkin?
  • Who killed Malcom X?
  • Who was to blame for the Kent State killings?
  • What did Nixon know about watergate?
  • What did Reagan know about Iran-Contra?
As you can see this is a pretty long list with not enough pages to thoroughly look at each one. The author does provide the reader with enough information to get the reader thinking and want more information, at least it did for myself. One thing I did learn from reading this book is that I obviously did not learn anything from my high school history class, and I was in the advanced one.

It's time for me to go back and re-learn a lot more about history, and include up to the present day. If anyone has some good suggestions on that, please enlighten me. I am feeling academically challenged based on what I thought I knew and the fact that there is a lot more out there to read and discover.

No comments:

Post a Comment