Search This Blog

Friday, November 18, 2011

"Falling Up" By Shel Silverstein


Title: Falling Up
Author: Shel Silverstein
Published Year: 1996
Pages: 171

I have to start out by saying that Shel Silverstein absolutely rocks! His books were one of the major highlights of my childhood. One of my friends asked me what was something that I really wanted for my daughter that no one had gotten her yet when I was pregnant with her and I instantly responded with Shel Silverstein's books. So this book is actually hers even though she is only six weeks old.

This particular book is a collection of his poems and drawings. I enjoy it because some of the poems play on what the drawing is and you have to put two and two together. In other words it can be used as a correlation learning exercise for children. I am excited for my daughter to grow up and enjoy his work as much as I did, as least I hope she will. During my third and fourth grade years of school, his works were the most popular among my classmates and no matter what each one of us enjoyed in our normal readings, we all agreed on liking his works.

His poems and drawings are whimsical and fun, they make reading entertaining and enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment