Search This Blog

Thursday, June 30, 2011

"The Field Guide to North American Hauntings" By W. Haden Blackman


Title: The Field Guide to North American Hauntings
Author: W. Haden Blackman
Published Year:1998
Pages: 192 pages
Genre: Non-fiction, Folklore, Occult


Before I even get started into this post, there is one thing that bugs me about this book that I just have to state. This book's title is misleading, as in the North American part. When I think of North America I think of Canada, United States and Mexico, at least that's the part of the main section. However in this book, ghost stories only focus on areas in the United States and Canada. Mexico is completely left out and there has to be some good ghost stories there.

Okay getting off my soap box now about misleading information. In other terms, I enjoyed this selection of ghost stories and how the other split them up into section (but then again when have I not enjoyed a ghost story book?).

The split up of sections directs the reader to what tales they may interested in, and each section has some well-known haunts along with some lessor known ones which I was unaware of. Here's the sections listed by chapter in the book:

  • True Haunted Houses
  • Haunted Vessels and Phantom Craft
  • Haunted Cemeteries and Burial Sites
  • Natural Haunts
  • Other Haunted Sites
  • Ghost Hunting
Yes the author gives information on different haunts in each section and then goes on to divulge information about the art of ghost hunting. The cool thing about the ghost hunting part is that is is broken down and easy to understand. The author even includes outlines of questions to ask witnesses of the hauntings which is an outstanding tool to have. I have personally never went ghost hunting, but I have visited some of the locations in the book.

Each location is set up with general information such as where it is, who is suspected of haunting it, and ghost temperance level. The individual sections then go on to describe history and eye witness accounts of the hauntings. The easy to use format is great for any reader and you definitely do not have to be at an adult reading stage to get the information you need.

After reading the whole book, I find it a very useful reference tool and am looking forward to looking back on it in my further readings on ghost stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment