Search This Blog

Monday, June 27, 2011

"Matilda" By Roald Dahl


Title: Matilda
Author: Roald Dahl
Published Year:1988
Pages: 240

Who couldn't use a a little Roald Dahl in their life? Despite this being known as a late elementary school level of reading, adults can enjoy it too, and I did just that. I'm just happy that I was finally able to read it after reading other of his works, many of you will remember such as James and the Giant Peach, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and The BFG just to name a few. Just like his other works, this is one that does not disappoint. It is full of imagination and fantasy.

In Matilda the story follows the life of an extraordinary little girl with exceptional capabilities and skills. She is extremely brilliant and struggles with this brilliance due to the people in her life holding her back. There are others in who life that she helps along the way and uses her abilities to help these people out.

One extra thing that is fantastic about this book is that the movie that is made based from it is one of the closest adaptations I have found. Usually when watching something that has been adapted, I find holes or too much artistic licensing used. However, while reading this book I could visualize the movie in my mind and it was matching up quite nicely. This did allow me to know what was coming up, but also kept me going at the same time because I was curious to see how close the ending really would be between the book and the movie.

Great read to read alone or with your kids. I know when mine become old enough, I will be reading this to her. That's what being a book nut will do to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment