Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

"The 13th" By John Everson


Title: The 13th
Author: John Everson
Published Year: 2009
Pages: 323


Ever read one of those books and you wonder what people would think of you if they knew you read it, well this is one of those books for me. I don't know if it is because I am getting older, or just more sensitive, but the book had that feel towards me. I love my gruesome books, and this one has it all from dead bloody bodies to orgies, so be warned it's not for the faint of heart. Of course there is the added psychological twist during the entire book as well.

The 13th takes place in a sleepy little town with a morbid past history involving an old hotel high up in the hills of this town. No one has used the hotel in about 25 years and a doctor comes to town to use it as a psych patient ward, at least that's what he says its for. As the book unwinds through the pages, more and more about the history of the hotel and what the doctor is trying to do come to light, including a cult following. Why is the doctor only using pregnant women as his patients and what is up with the increase of missing women in the local areas? These are the questions that the book poses the most.

At times the book is a little bit slow and the dots are not connected well. Based on what I like to read and what I was expecting I would give this book 3 out of 5 stars for its average performance. Some loose ends needed to be tied up and there are too many unanswered questions for my own liking. It is also extremely morbid, so be cautious in that attribute.

No comments:

Post a Comment