Search This Blog

Friday, September 23, 2011

"The Mythology of Supernatural" By Nathan Robert Brown


Title: The Mythology of Supernatural: The Signs and Symbols Behind the Popular TV Show
Author: Nathan Robert Brown
Published Year: 2011
Pages: 272

This book is not endorsed by anyone that works on the hit show "Supernatural" and instead is a well researched book by Mr. Brown. I just wished I had the time that he must of taken to work on a book that is this well though out and developed. No season of "Supernatural" is left behind, and the information within the book takes the reader all the way up through season 6. I have not watched season 6 yet since I just received the box set of dvds in the mail yesterday, but after reading this and reviewing what happened during season 5 I am excited to do so.

Brown takes all sort of mythological information and provides it in an easy to read and understand format. It is not just mythology that is looked at, but also there are characters from the show and objects that are used on the show that are better explained. Of course, he goes even one step further and distinguishes between fact and fiction as well. Some of the items that are used on the show are not completely accurate and Brown provides the reader with the information to show these things.

I love mythology and things paranormal (as you can probably tell from my blog postings, most of the books I read are in this genre), and this book hit on both of these notes. I am also a fan of the show, and even though Brown was focusing on information that is used in the make up of the show, it is also useful information that I would have probably read elsewhere in the type of books that I enjoy. In other words you do not have to be an absolute fan of the show to enjoy this book. It provides good relevant information that can be used for research purposes other than directly related to the show. Brown just has taken the items from the show and explained them to the reader.

One more thing I like about this book is the fact that he brings up things that fans have picked up on throughout the show and where those ideas have led people when it comes to guessing what is coming up on the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment