Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

"The Adromeda Strain" By Michael Crichton

Title: The Andromeda Strain
Author: Michael Crichton
Published Year: 1969
Pages: 364
Genre: Science Fiction

Recently I have gotten myself into a Michael Crichton kick. I just cannot help but gobble up his books as soon as I start them. I have a few more to go to say I have been able to complete all his works.

Crichton is a fascinating author who comes across as an exceptionally bright person to me. I took my science classes in high school and college, yet he brings on whole new ideas and consequences to my imagination and learning. I specifically picked this book of his up due to the fact that I have seen both editions of the film work based on the book and wanted a first hand look at what those ideas came from. Stephen King's work The Stand also filtered into my thoughts many times while reading this book. You do not have to be a science geek to like this book. Its the what-ifs that kept me hooked. I didn't fully comprehend all the scientific jargon, but that jargon did make the book that much more interesting to read.

Here is a basic synopsis about what it is about:

Taking place during the great space race with the Soviet Union, the United States runs across the issue of what happens if one of the satellites they send into space picks up an extraterrestrial life form and brings it back to earth? This what if scenario actual happens in the book when one of the satellites crashes back to the earth in an area without a dense population in the southwest. One of the locals opens up the capsule and almost the whole town dies. A special team of scientists are brought in to find out how the survivors actually survived and what this alien life form actually is. The novel follows the trials and errors of these scientists with their times of panics.

No comments:

Post a Comment