Search This Blog

Sunday, April 3, 2011

"Creepers" By David Morrell

Title: Creepers
Author: David Morrell
Published Year: 2005
Pages: 388
Genre: Horror Fiction

Sometimes I pick up books by just browsing the isles of book stores with no real direction of what I am looking for. This is one of those books that I found in this method. The bright green print of the author's name on the spine of the book along with the bright orange of the title grabbed my attention along with the title. Design does help in selling books, it just grabbed my attention. Reading the description on the back only peaked my interest even further.

The book is about a group of urban adventurers, also known as "Creepers" in their lingo. These people sneak into abandoned buildings and look at the history and items that were left behind. They make no marks and leave nothing behind in order to maintain the present condition of the building they are exploring. Only pictures and footsteps are what they leave behind. Many of the buildings they investigate are ones that are scheduled for demolition so it is a last chance to get an idea of eras past.

However, this trip turns into something that is not the normal. A reporter comes along with them to do an article on the growing trend of "Creepers". The year is 2005 and they are investigating an old hotel that was closed to the public since the last 1960's and whose owner had died in the late 1980's. Supposedly no one had been in the building since then. The story is about their adventures into this supposed empty building and the obstacles and strange things they find along the way.

It is more of a thriller than a horror novel in my opinion with lots of action packed scenes. I finished it in less than two full days and didn't want to put it down. Books that hook me like this are the ones I love and I am planning on seeking out some more of Morrell's work. With some of the scenes though it is not for the faint of heart of those that do not like gore.

No comments:

Post a Comment