Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

"Slaughterhouse-Five" By Kurt Vinnegut


Title: Slaughterhouse-Five
Author: Kurt Vinnegut
Published Year: 1969
Pages: 215
Description: Kurt Vonnegut's absurdist classic Slaughterhouse-Five introduces us to Billy Pilgrim, a man who becomes unstuck in time after he is abducted by aliens from the planet Tralfamadore. In a plot-scrambling display of virtuosity, we follow Pilgrim simultaneously through all phases of his life, concentrating on his (and Vonnegut's) shattering experience as an American prisoner of war who witnesses the firebombing of Dresden

My Take:

At first I wasn't sure about what I was going to get out of this book. I had heard mixed reviews from different people from "Oh my, this book changed my life!" all the way to "I cannot believe I wasted those hours of my life reading that piece of garbage". Personally, I was not on either of those spectrums, but more a little in the middle leaning more towards loving the book. Having mixed reviews encouraged me to read through the book more than I would if I had only heard negative reviews and I am happy that I made the commitment to finish the book.

One thing that keeps in my mind when I think of this book is the phrase "So it goes". If you have read the book you'll understand this, but if you haven't you should read it and find out what its all about.

The book is about how horrible war can be and what happens to those that fight in it, but there are other aspects that bring in other human emotions. I was continually reminding that life is what we make of it and not everything that we see is factual. Alien abductions in an anti-war book are fun too, and this one has a few to speak of.

Overall it is an enjoyable book that makes the reader think, well at least this reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment