Search This Blog

Sunday, January 2, 2011

"Haunted Kansas" By Lisa Hefner Heitz

Title: Haunted Kansas: Ghost Stories & Other Eerie Tales
Author: Lisa Hefner Heitz
Published Year: 1997
Pages: 215

Lisa does something in this book that I really enjoyed, and that is how she set the book up. She doesn't randomly share a ghost story, she has them categorized into different sections. These sections are: House Ghosts ( Haunted Houses & Buildings), Fort Ghosts, School and Theater Ghosts, Graveyard Ghosts, Ghosts on the Range, Ghostly Oddities, and The Most Haunted Town in Kansas: Atchison. So if there is one type you are specifically looking for, it is easy to find that story, or reference back if there is a need for that as well.

I've been through Kansas once and did not find it too particularly interesting and I will probably never go there again unless it is to the racetrack there, but this book did make it sound interesting. Kansas has a very diverse history and I would have never realised just how diverse until I read this book. As the previous sections mentioned reveal, there is a storied history behind Kansas and exploring the ghost stories are just one way to learn about it. I do have to admit that is my favorite way to learn about a place's history, and Lisa does an outstanding job in her book bringing this to light.

No comments:

Post a Comment