Search This Blog

Friday, January 7, 2011

"Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" By Douglas Adams

Title: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Author: Douglas Adams
Published Year:1979
Pages: 143 (depends on edition of the book, I've seen others listed at 224 and 209)
Genre: Science Fiction

I cannot believe I waiting this long to read this. I decided recently to read it since I do own it and it is on the BBC list of books that they believe the majority of people have only read an average of 6 on that list. I want to read that entire list as my goal for 2011, and I have read over 20 of the books so far over the years.

Adams is a fantastic writer who brings many chuckles and laughs to the reader throughout his book. "Hitchhiker" is a must read for any science fiction fan, and no matter what age group you are in, there will be items in there that will bring out the laughter. This is only the first of five books in his "trilogy", which that just brings a smile to my face as I type that.

Since this is the first of the series, we meet the main character Arthur who ends up being lucky enough to escape Earth right before its destruction. He is with a galaxy hitchhiker who is updating the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", which is just the theme behind this book. They have quirky travels through space as Arthur tries to come to terms with what has happened to his own home planet and learning about things that were never thought to have existed in his own mind. To continue his journey, I will need to read the next book in the series. Before I do so however, I will probably get back to reading whichever book I pick up out of my personal collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment