Search This Blog

Sunday, January 2, 2011

"Road to Nowhere" By Christopher Pike

Title: Road to Nowhere
Author: Christopher Pike
Published Year: 1993
Pages: 212
Genre: Young Adult

When I was reading these originally I was in the 6th grade when I started. At the time I did not think Pike's books were that realistic because of the things that were going on in them. As I began re-reading and finding new works I hadn't read such as this one, I discovered why I had this opinion; these books are directed more at the later high school age. The fact that I was an advanced reader in 6th grade, got me to the point of reading his books sooner. His books are like a more mature subject matter of Stine's Fear Street. Drugs, sex and violence can be found in all of them. And this one was no exception.

"Road to Nowhere" I found especially intriguing for the subject matter. Three people are riding up the California coast together, two of them know each other before, and the third picks them up as hitchhikers. Each one has their own story to tell and as the night progresses they continue to share their stories and strange things continue to happen in the middle of the night. What is the real point behind these stories and why are they telling them? Without them, you would not make it to the end and it has a great surprise ending. I personally did not see it coming despite I have read some of his other books. Pike is a fantastic writer and has a way of drawing you in.

No comments:

Post a Comment