Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

"Death Makes A Holiday: A Cultural History of Halloween" By David J. Skal



Title: Death Makes A Holiday: A Cultural History of Halloween
Author: David J. Skal
Published Year: 2002
Pages: 224


Halloween has never been so interesting as this book portrays it. I learned more about events related to Halloween than I had ever known before. Aside from how it started, Skal takes you along a path through more recent events that have shaped Halloween into the event that it is today. From horrible stories of how a man can blame trick-or-treating on the poisoning of his son when he himself did, to the events on Castro street in San Francisco there are eye-opening facts and events that may be things you already know or are just learning.

I would have never thought that the gay revolution in San Francisco and how some people set up their haunted houses could all be contained in such little space in a book like this. However, I will say that I was pleasantly surprised and am always happy to learn something new, even if others already know the facts or are not interested in the same things.

There is one downside in this book in my own personal opinion, and since this is my blog and my random thoughts and descriptions of the books I read, it fits. This particular downside is that some of the chapters seemed disorganized. I was having problems with going from one topic in the same chapter to another one a page later without any connection, well at least in my mind no connection to link the two together in one chapter. Just take that as a warning and not as a don't read this book, this book is worth the read just for the fun tidbits of information contained within its covers.

No comments:

Post a Comment