Search This Blog

Thursday, July 21, 2011

"Horror at the Haunted House" By Peg Kehret



Title: Horror at the Haunted House
Author: Peg Kehret
Published Year: 1992
Pages: 132
Genre: Young-Adult Fiction

Kehret has written other books for young adults (I would put this in the 10-13 year old range depending on reading ability) and this is her second one I have read. The other work I have read from her is Terror At the Zoo which I read in the mid-90s while away at camp. Both works are based in Washington which is the state that I have lived my whole life in (with the exception of 6 weeks in Alaska one summer). So I find the scenery easy to associate with and it brings a kind of home state feeling to me which I do not get out of other books where I am not familiar with the areas that are described in them. Now on to the synopsis of the actual book.

Horror at the Haunted House is a story of a girl who is invited along with her brother to play a character in a local haunted house that is being done to raise money for the local Historical Society. The house that is being used as the haunted house now belongs to the local Historical Society and will be used as a museum after the haunted house is done for Halloween season. The main character is enthralled with the chance and learning about the history of the home and its former occupants. To make things even more exciting, there is rumor to be a real ghost within the walls of the home. As the story progresses, the ghost begins to make appearances and it is up to the main character to find out who the ghost is and why they have come back at this time to show their presence.

Overall this is a good book in my opinion. There is plenty of action and mystery to keep the book moving and there are lots of little surprises throughout it. It is not too scary so those that are worried about it, don't be. Unless of course you don't like a good ghost story as this book has a ghost within its pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment